The TQUK Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (RQF) Qualification is to enable you to gain your recognised Higher Level Teaching Assistant qualification.
As a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) you are responsible for all the regular tasks and responsibilities of a day to day teaching assistant. In addition to this you will also be responsible for teaching classes on your own, cover planned absences and to also enable teachers time to plan and mark work.
Under the direction of teachers, HLTA’s often plan, prepare and deliver lessons to both pupils on an individual basis along with teaching in small groups. On a short term basis a HLTA will also teach ‘whole’ classes, assess work and record pupils progress.
Many HLTAs have a role to play outside the classroom, as well: they may manage other classroom-based staff, develop a specialist curriculum area within the school and often liaise with parents and carers on sensitive issues for particular pupils.
What skills and experience do I need?
- demonstrate that you meet the 33 HLTA professional standards
- have English and maths skills at Level 2 or equivalent
- know how to use ICT to support your work
- be trained in relevant learning strategies, e.g. literacy
- have specialist skills/ training in a curriculum area, e.g. sign language
Who is it for?
Our TQUK Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (RQF) Qualification course is designed for people whom wish to become, a higher level teaching assistant (HLTA)
To become an HLTA you need to already be working as a teaching assistant and have support from your head teacher. Schools and local authorities no longer receive government funding to train HLTAs, so you must discuss funding with your school. It is also up to headteachers to approach relevant training providers and organise assessment
Unit 1: Promote children and young people’s positive behaviour
SEN Course Information
For information about our SEN course click here
Qualification reference number – 601/4423/3
Credit Value – 44
This programme is fully assessed via tutor marked assignments. Upon completion of each module the learner will be required to complete a series of tasks, requiring essay style answers, which are sent to the tutor for marking. Observation of certain tasks by a competent person (manager) will also be required.
Upon completion of all the course assignments the work is then subject to internal and external moderation to ensure consistency, fairness and that all standards have been properly applied and met.
Please Note: a work placement of at least 50 hours is required to complete this option. This workplace MUST be in a school setting. This can either be a primary, secondary or special school, however you MUST also ensure that the pupils you work with are aged 5+ and are studying at Key Stage 1 or above.
As part of this work placement you must first ensure that a member of staff with occupational competence is able to provide supervision and sign the witness testimonies, to prove you have achieved the work based learning outcomes of this course.
You will have access to a Tutor, via email, phone and our learner platform, who will mark your work and guide you through the course to help you prepare for your assignments. You will be provided with all course materials in order to complete your TQUK Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (RQF) Qualification.
You will also have full support from your Tutoring team throughout your study to ensure you have the best learning experience.
The guided study hours to complete your TQUK Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (RQF) Qualification are an approximate figure and are dependent upon how much time you can dedicate to your studies and how well you grasp the learning concepts in the course material. You should allow enough time to complete assignments/ question papers to ensure satisfactory outcomes are met.
The approximate amount of time required to complete the TQUK Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (RQF) Qualification is: 232 hours.
You will have an initial 12 months in which to complete this qualification.
Our TQUK Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (RQF) Qualification is openly available to anyone wishing to gain a full recognised qualification as a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) and has a keen interest in the subject, plus an intention to progress within the Education sector.
- To achieve the observational units, the awarding body requires a relevant work placement of a minimum of 50 hours in a school. We recommend 2 days a week (16 hours) for good practice, however this is dependant on the schools availability. This can include voluntary or paid work.
- Learners should be keen to work in the sector to support teaching and learning in schools.
- All learners should have attention to detail and be willing to work in a team environment
- Should be willing to work using your own initiative when required.
- Students should have access to a computer and the internet throughout your study period.
- Learners should have basic PC skills in order to navigate our Learner Management System (LMS)
- You should be fully committed to your studies at all times.
- Must be aged 16 and over
- Must have grade C and above in BOTH English and Maths
The Certification fee for this qualification is £85.00 of which is only payable upon successful completion.